The GM Diet/Cleanse {My *long winded*thoughts}

I’ve been wanting to try a cleanse for years now….The store ones don’t appeal to me, and I know enough about myself to know that I’m not good without food. I need something to sustain me or at least keep me committed. So the Master Cleanse and juice or water cleanses weren’t really at the top of my list either. I just figured I’d find one I was  happy with at some point and try it out – which is exactly what happened.

On Pinterest last week I saw  the link to the GM Diet/Cleanse – claiming a loss of 10-17lbs in just one week’s time. Yes, that caught my eye. My motives for wanting a cleanse right now were twofold – 1. To help cut out gluten again. I’ve gotten a little outta control and knew that I needed something to really kickstart the change. Something a little drastic with little to no wiggle room. and 2. To kickstart the weight loss again. I was committed last year to not gaining the weight back, but have not been so successful {my own fault}. I needed to do something to help get my motivation back.

You can read the entire GM cleanse HERE or HERE. After initially reading through it I liked it and wanted to try it. My amazing husband even agreed to try it out with me {he really is awesome}, so this week we set to it!

Sunday I woke up with a horrible cold, but we started Day one as scheduled. Fruit Day! I started my day with oranges and could feel a difference immediately – with congestion and mucous specifically {sorry if that grosses you out}. I knew that regardless of my overall feelings of this cleanse, eating fruits {and vegetables on day 2} could only help my body get healthier faster.

Day 2 was okay. All vegetables – We had a veggie tray {not nearly as fun without dip}, salad {using Salata dressing….made an executive decision to let it qualify}, and started our day off with the baked potato as suggested. I really don’t like potatoes {unless there’s sour cream}, but it wasn’t too bad. I also made steamed broccoli, carrots, and onions for lunch – Brent had steamed cabbage. By the evening we were both SO anxious for Day 3 so we could have some fruit. lol Brent managed to forget while cutting the kids some apples and had a piece {oops} but did confirm how good it was. haha

Day 3 – fruits and vegetables. I was so excited in the morning to have fruit – made myself a little platter and laid back in bed with Jonah and ate it all. :) I had some veggies but not many – mostly just fruit. I had made some of the wonder soup on the weekend {to see if it was any good} so Brent ate the leftovers for dinner – more on that in a bit.

Day 4 – This is where I really started to wonder about this whole cleanse. The bananas didn’t bother me – and it’s quite possible I spent most of day 3 anticipating the way they would taste {and I almost never grab a banana to eat} – it was the milk that had me baffled. I don’t know why it’s in there. There is an explanation for the bananas {sodium and potassium} but nothing for the milk. And, especially because I was sick – I don’t believe milk is great for us to begin with, but particularly not when sick. I tried one bowl – ate half of it and gave the rest to Brent. I could just tell I should stop. I also made another batch of the soup – this time adding kidney beans for a little more substance. I also made an executive decision to allow other fruit this day…

Day 5 – This is today….Meat and Tomatoes. Okay the meat I can understand {though perhaps not in regards to a cleanse}…but with the tomatoes – I cannot stand tomatoes, except in bruschetta I’ve recently discovered. But breaking out a loaf of bread or tostitos wouldn’t really qualify…so I was trying really hard to figure out how we would do this. Brent is not a fan either. This morning, he had a bowl of cereal. He’s hungry {I know – one of the side effects of a cleanse} and also has to work {outside the home} all day. I made meat and cooked carrots for lunch and it was delicious. I didn’t measure out the meat portions, but ate until my body said stop. I paid very close attention and feel great+and not weighed down. A plus :) I have no idea what to do for dinner – but I can tell you that tomatoes will not be involved! lol They are apparently for the digestion and fiber….well from my understanding fruit between meals can also offer the same benefits and is a great source of fiber {as are veggies}. So I figured – or hoped – it could be an adequate substitution. Maybe I’m missing something?
Day 6 is tomorrow – all the meat and vegetables you want. Hmm…nothing bothers me here…just not sure what to make.

Day 7 – will end the entire thing. Brown rice, veggies, and drinking fruit juice…..

I am glad I did this cleanse/diet – it forced me to eliminate all yucky things from my body while sick and allowed my body the chance to focus on getting healthy. Instead of grabbing a handful of crackers or chips while walking by the pantry, I cut up some strawberries or cantaloupe. I needed this refocus.

I didn’t like a few things though. For starters – I felt like there wasn’t enough information, which gave me room to modify, though I’m not sure if those modifications will have good or bad effects – or none at all. Day 4 stated the wonder soup could be eaten in LIMITED quantities – but then at the bottom it says this soup can be eaten in UNLIMITED quantities. Confusion….and did it mean just on day 4 or the entire week? That’s why Brent had it for dinner day 3 – it was mainly veggies so fell in line with veggie day.

The ingredients themselves baffled me and I had to modify the recipe. To have 4 packages of french onion soup mix {surprised a packaged soup mix qualifies in a cleanse} in just 4 cups of water PLUS 6 onions is insane to me. That’s A LOT of onions…..I doubled the water, only used 1 onion, an only 2 soup mixes. The soup was great and we enjoyed it, but I could not have made it the way it was initially written. ick

This isn’t a *park yourself in the bathroom* kind of cleanse – which of course was nice. And I don’t know if it really qualifies as a *cleanse* or more of a reset/refocus of sorts. And while I’m glad I did it, I don’t see us doing this one again….And, after chatting over lunch today, decided we are probably more like  *3 day cleanse* people….or maybe like a *fruit/veggie day* every month or so instead of a week long commitment. In some ways this was easier than I expected, and in other ways it was more difficult…and I certainly had to remember that the goal was to do it *just to see* so I had to stick with it. I wanted to.

And I’m glad we did it – or tried it….even with our modifications {for example, even today on tomato and beef day, I chose to allow fruits and veggies as a bit of a free for all..}. Also – this morning I had a glass of diluted apple juice and honestly within 10 minutes felt so much better than I have all week. I guess it’s my way of compensating for not having coffee, wine, or club soda {haha} – all of which are allowed while on this {strange to anyone else???}

Overall weight loss for me: 7lbs right now….{and that is with Shark week starting which almost always ups me 1-2lbs}. Brent never weighed himself to begin with….

And now it’s time to continue with better choices, healthier habits, and a commitment to gluten free. Last year when I was gluten free and healthy and down with my weight, apples and other healthy choices were my go to for snacks…I need that back!

A HUGE *hooray* to my husband for being so awesome and muddling through this with me…I’m impressed that he not only agreed, but has stuck with it {minus the cereal this morning….and we may have both had a wee piece of almond roca today….hey nobody’s perfect}

*Disclosure: This post is not sponsored or affiliated in any way with this cleanse/diet or any other sites linked to it.

My husband and I tried this on our own accord – and these are my honest opinions*

22 thoughts on “The GM Diet/Cleanse {My *long winded*thoughts}

1. Cheryl

I tried this in early 2012 to kickstart my weight-loss goal of 30 lbs. I lost 9 lbs on the GM cleanse’s first few days, but gained 2 back on the meat days. All said and done, just from healthy eating (only the one week of GM) and LOTS of water (I divided my body weight in half and drank that many ounces each day), I lost 25 lbs – and 20 of that was in January!

Since I lost my focus & gained a few back, I’m restarting the cleanse today. I know it’s not the answer to long-term loss, but it sure does the trick for a kick start in a week! This time, I’ll stick with a couple of lean hamburger patties on Day 4. After the first few wacky days, the taste of beef was the best taste ever!! But indulging in 20 oz caused me to regain some of what I had lost. And, after 2 patties, you’re not hungry for more.

I didn’t mind the bananas & milk day. But someone said they make a soup. That’s just weird. Eat ‘em & drink separately.

Oh, and the cabbage soup? 2 packets of soup mix is definitely enough and this time I’ll leave out the green peppers. They just get kind of gross and don’t do a thing for the flavor. Soup mix (the yummiest part), tomatoes and cabbage should do the trick.

Good luck (to me, too)! :)

2. Mary

Good Morning, I am on day 4, I have noticed my skin is a lot oilier, I read some where that it will cause dry skin. I didn’t weigh myself before but I know on day 2 I could easily fit into a pair of shorts I couldn’t the weekend before. I did have wine as well . I am so looking forward to meat day tomorrow.

I like green pepper I found another site that had substitutions so I used those veggies. Also knowing corn produces sugar in your body I stayed away as much as I could.

Thanks for the blog on the diet.

1. cutelikeme Post author

Hope you find the results you are wanting. And great news about finding substitutions.

In truth, I think having a couple of day every once in a while where you let your body rest and eat only fruits and vegetables is a great thing. So I am sure your body is noticing that change. As for the oilier skin – I have no answer other than perhaps your body is just trying to adjust and regulate to the change???

Good luck :)

3. Tru

I just wanted to thank you for this wonderful and well wroded feedback. I am going to try this next week. :)

4. Martha

Hailey,

Thank you for such a long and in depth post about your experienced with the diet. I have just started it and on my 2nd day. I can’t wait to get to the end of the week and see how I do.

This isn’t an easy diet. The food is very little and I’m not used to it, but I plan on sticking to it to the end.

By the way, for anyone who’s doing the diet, I recommend checking out this blog: http://www.worldofdiets.com/gm-general-motors-diet/

It has almost 500 comments from people who’ve done the diet with tips and questions and it also gives some info on how to maintain the weight that you lost.

5. Sunita

Hi,I just got to know about this wonderful diet and am thinking of trying this out.However,I have a few questions.
    There is no mention of Salt anywhere in the diet plan.Does this mean that we cannot add salt to the salad or soup??
    Also we stay in Shanghai and I cannot find the Lipton Onion soup mix,so what is the next best alternative?

Look forward for replies so I can get started on this diet plan…tnx Sunita

1. cutelikeme Post author

Instead of onion soup mix I would just use beef broth cubes….it’s essentially the same thing.

Also – I don’t think you can add additional salt. And truthfully, this isn’t a cleanse I recommend. I think there are much healthier ways that actually change the lifestyle instead of just a quick fix. But best of luck if you decide to do it. :)

6. Ally

Did you loose physical fat or just weight? I wanted to do this diet to go to the beach and look skinnier, is it good for that or just for getting energy and loosing a little weight?

1. cutelikeme Post author

I noticed a difference in both. When I lose 5-10lbs I notice a difference immediately in my physical appearance and the way clothes fit. But that’s also because of how and where my body gains weight.

If I were to advise I would still not encourage this Cleanse. And instead I would suggest making even just one small change….ie. not having seconds of a meal, eating slowly to enjoy the food and avoid feeling the need for seconds, drinking only water, cutting out potato chips or late night snacking, etc. And of course, exercise!

I had by and far more and better success when I went gluten free and did Shred {Jillian Michaels} daily for 5 weeks. :)

7. Erin

OK, my husband and I are finishing up day 7 of this cleanse today. I felt so funny reading your blog because I felt like I was reading my own thoughts. We had almost the exact experience with it and feel about the same. So funny. I have done a little more research on it and see that sometimes they omit day 7. Also, I found meal plans (would have been SO helpful a week ago!).

8. 3 day cleanse

Ola! Cutelikemeblog,
    Thanks for the above, i want to go on some sort of water,syrup,and lemon (and any other ingredients) cleanse; i have no experience with cleanses at all. my goal is to lose 10 pounds. i am 13 years old, i weigh 135.5 pounds, and i am 5 feet and 1 inch tall. i have heard that these diets take anywhere from 4-11 days, i have unwanted thigh and belly fat that i wound like to get rid of. if anyone with diet and fitness experience thinks that a cleanse would be good for me please tell me what i need to do this and what i will need,such as ingredients, how many day this will take, and how much weight i will most likely lose. that would be very helpful to me! :)

thanks! :)
    Catch you again soon!

1. cutelikeme Post author

um, please don’t diet or do a cleanse. Especially at your age – 13 is much too young to be doing such things. Really, it’s all about making long term healthier choices and exercising {walks, etc.}. I would not recommend this cleanse or any other you’ve mentioned and would hope you would instead make healthy choices. In addition, I hope you’ll learn to love your body the way it is…there are always things we can healthily improve, but all in all, we should be confident in who we are. As a side note, a friend of mine, who at the age of 13 had more baby chub than the rest in our circle of friends, had the most amazing and healthy lean body as a teenager.

Good luck. :)

9. Pingback: How To: The GM Cleanse-Loose 10-17 Lbs | simplybeautifulyou-KelsyPeterson

10. khuthy

i am on day4 bananas and milk am enjoying and people are starting to noticed the differents,for once am going to do it still day7.i believe after day day3 it gets easy.As for me i am feeling great,more lighter and have energy.

11. rue

my question is, is this diet plan combined with a work out routine? i rarely have time to work out or hit the gym but it in the works for the near future. i have quit smoking cigarettes 131 days smoke free but since then i have gained 35 lbs as of yesterday weigh in at 230lbs. I’m trying to get rid of this weight gain before i continue gaining and eventually adding a workout regiment. starting off with this diet plan sounds good then following it up with some workout DVD’s on a regular basis after the GM Diet week is completed. what would be some of your thoughts and opinions. please, feedback is welcome from all.

1. cutelikeme Post author

If I were you I would skip this and make lifestyle changes you can implement long term. Something I had a lot of success with {and felt great} was going gluten free…cutting out breads and snacking crackers, etc. I also am a HUGE fan of Jillian Michaels’ Shred DVD…30 minute workout each day…I suggest combining both of these things – I can almost guarantee you’ll have results. Great job on the quitting smoking, though it sounds like you replaced that habit with a snacking one if you’ve gained weight since quitting.

Try and keep tabs on when you would have gone for a cigarette and do 20 jumping jacks, sit ups, etc. instead…and try and cut out that unnecessary and mindless snacking {I need to too}.

Good luck – you can totally do it!

12. Christina

Hi,

I am interested in trying this cleanse along with my boyfriend, but he can’t eat bananas…. I was wondering if there was anything that would be a good substitution for this?

13. edelweiza

Today is my Day 2 on the GM diet and so far, I’m getting by without any deviations from the required food. Like most people, I just wanted to jumpstart my weight loss efforts so I took on the challenge. :)

14. jami

Hi-I did this cleanse, my husband a carb-o-hollic like me, is away for work for 2 weeks. I gave it a go and it was pretty easy, eat fruit one day. Big deal, one day! He’s going to do it when he comes back, so Ill be doing it again.

Yea, the soup recipe they have is gross and confusing. I would never a sodium laced soup mix to a soup while on a cleanse, so I just made my own cabbage soup – really tasty and kind of sweet.

I dont understand the bananas and milk day, but whatever. Also didnt understand the beef and tomato day, again.. whatever! It worked, my stomach doesnt feel bloated and I dont feel like crap when I eat.

Like you and some other commenters said, its a great kickstart to retrain your brain & stomach to lay off bread, chips, junk, Mexican food, pizza, fries.. gawd. For the past few months that’s the kind of crud I was eating and no wonder I was feeling heavy, fat, bloated, sick to my stomach when I ate, urgently rushing to the bathroom a few times a day to empty the ‘trash’, if you know what I mean! I am ‘regular’ now and feeling normal, fine, good.. human. I was really feeling bad before. Today is day 7 and Im about to make some brown rice. Im not a big rice fan, but at least brown rice has flavor.

Hope this comment finds you well and happy!
    Jami

15. Angelina

Great blog…even if I’m now craving bruschetta! ha ha I’m on Day 2-All veggies/potato for breakfast, and boy am I tired (and longing for tomorrow to add fruit!). Just curious if anyone else felt sleepy during their first days on this plan…and if it subsided? I’ve read about so many people getting what sounds like boundless energy, and I just want my pillow right about now! ha ha I’ve never been a real big foodie type and have always eaten pretty healthy. Recently just felt I needed to reset my system…been finding too many fun “sweet tooth” recipes on Pinterest that I’ve just had to try : )